Friday, September 2, 2011

Raspberry Muffins


First entry, yay! I am really excited to start this blog. Right now, I am just going to post anything I bake  or cook on here but who knows. It will probably turn out to be something different in the end.

So this weekend is Labor Day weekend. My roommate left for the weekend and I felt like baking something. My problem was that I didn't feel like going to the store. Mostly because the traffic in this town is horrible and to go to the store for just something like cream of tartar is just not worth it to me. Plus, I am a college student and am on a budget. I have all the baking essentials in my pantry such as flour, sugar (confectioner's, light brown, and regular), baking powder, baking soda, salt, unsalted butter and eggs. So I obviously could make something without going to the store. Last week, I made some raspberry lemonade bars which were pretty good. That recipe required frozen raspberries and I had some of those left over in the freezer. Thus, I decided a raspberry muffin was what I wanted to bake. Since I don't make much muffins, I wanted a simple recipe.

I found this recipe from Annie's Eats. The recipe calls for dark brown sugar, whole milk and fleur de sel. All ingredients that I didn't have but I did have light brown sugar, skim plus milk and regular salt. I also found the original recipe that the recipe was adapted from before Annie's Eats adapted it. After all of that I came up with this recipe. It is essentially the original recipe but with raspberries :-).

They were pretty delicious. The only complaint is I probably could have added more raspberries but I only had about a cup leftover. I also definitely would have used the coarse sugar had I had it. It definitely would have added a nice touch to the top of the muffin. 

Raspberry Muffins
Source: Gourmet ,  Annie's Eats
Yield: 12 Muffins

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cool
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup skim plus milk
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen raspberries, defrosted
coarse sugar (I used to regular sugar or you don't need to add it at all)

Directions:
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a pan by lightly greasing the wells or fitting with paper liners.
2. In a bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, milk, and egg. Mix on medium - low speed until well combined. (This could be done with an electric mixer or hand mixer.) In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix on on low speed until just incorporated. Gently fold in the raspberries.
3. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle sugar over the top (if using). Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.



No comments:

Post a Comment