Monday, August 13, 2012

Two Much Cupcakes...Never!

Hi everybody! I am back! I haven't written in this blog for about a year but I really am going to change it. I am living at home now and have a little bit more free time than I used to. So that means more time to bake some delicious goodies. I come back with not one but TWO delicious cupcake recipes.

My brother Jeff's birthday was the other day so I made him some cupcakes with the help from my best friends Alicia and Erica. We decided to go with a chocolate cupcake with oreo whipped cream frosting and a chocolate cupcake with a chocolate mousse frosting. They came pretty delicious and they looked amazing!

For the longest time I was trying to find a good chocolate cupcake recipe. Every time I made them they were too dry or not enough chocolate. So then I remembered when I made these Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes, how moist and delicious the cake was. I knew the beer probably had something to do with that, so then I decided to substitute heavy cream in for the beer. I think it was rather successful and so did my family who was eating them.


Since Jeff is a huge fan of chocolate mousse, I decided to make a chocolate mousse frosting. We also decided to add an alternative of oreo frosting. The first time I made this with Alicia and Erica, it came out so delicious and we have no idea what we did. But this recipe is pretty good. Stay tuned because I am sure I will adjust all of these recipes in the future. After all, I am still a beginner and in the experimentation phase. But feel free to try these because either way they were still yummy!


Chocolate Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
16 tbsp. unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream and butter. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. With an electric mixer, beat together the eggs and sour cream to blend. Add the cream-butter mixture and beat just to combine. Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed until just incorporated. Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners, filling them about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick insterted in the comes out clean. About 17-20 minutes. Allow to cool in plan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Mousse Frosting

Ingredients:
1.5 cups of heavy cream
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
Dash of Salt
1 Chocolate bar

Directions:
About 15 minutes before making this, allow a bowl to chill in the freezer along with the beaters. Once the bowl is chilled, combine heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder and dash of salt in bowl. Beat until the mixture holds a peak. Add frosting to pastry bag and pipe onto cupcakes. Top with shredded chocolate bar.

Oreo Whipped Cream Frosting

Ingredients:
1 3/5 cups plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup finely crushed Oreos
6 Oreos cut in half.

Directions:
Allow bowl to chill in freezer with beaters. In a Ziploc bag, add about a dozen Oreos to bag and crush until very fine. Then add heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to bowl. Beat until stiff peaks form. Then fold in the Oreos. Add frosting to pastry bag and pipe onto cupcakes. Top with half of Oreo.


No comments:

Post a Comment