Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Snickerdoodles!

"A picture doesn't do those cookies justice" - My roommate Kim
First, I want to start off by saying I do plan to update this blog more but I was busy with school and there was a boil water alert in my town. That was finally lifted today! So, what is the first thing I do? Bake! Fall is on it's way and that mean baking season is among us! Fall has some of my favorite baking ingredients with apples, cinnamon, and pumpkin. So expect tons of baking soon!

Anyways, snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies and they smell delicious when you bake them! My mom always makes delicious snickerdoodles and I asked her for a recipe which she gets from McCormick's. The recipe called for shortening but I didn't have any so I substituted butter in instead. They came out just as yummy as the recipe my mom makes :-) (And she is a great baker!) The recipe baked about 4-5 dozen cookies. I baked them at 400 degrees farenheit for 10 minutes and that was perfect. Another thing is great about these cookies is that you can freeze them so that they stay nice and fresh. I put some in a little baggy for my mom to try when I go home this weekend :-)

Snickerdoodle Cookies
(Adapted from McCormick's)
Yield: 4-5 dozen

Ingredients:
2 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cup sugar, divided (1 1/2 cups for recipe, 1/4 cup for rolling)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions:
1. Mix flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda in a bowl, set aside. Beat 1 1/2 cups of sugar with butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well. On low speed, gradually mix in flour mixture until well incorporated. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit. Mix 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Shape dough into balls and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on baking sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 1 minute then put on wire racks to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment