Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness Bake Sale

This year I will be participating in the Susan G. Komen Race for The Cure on September 9th in Central Park. I will be walking as part of the PepsiCo team. My mom works for PepsiCo which is how I got involved with it. Part of the way the team fundraises is through having a baking sale. This year, they will be going around the cafeteria to sell baked goods to fellow employees. I of course had to take this great opportunity to bake something delicious! My immediate thought were to cookies. I made them last year for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer so I figured to do them again. I also had these adorable cupcake liners which had breast cancer awareness ribbons on them, so I decided to bake cupcakes as well.

I did bake a homemade white cupcake but I will admit I did use a store-bought frosting. Mostly, for timing but also, I have yet to make a frosting that I liked that is not whipped cream based. Anyways, that is not why I am writing this entry. I am writing this entry because of the packaging. A part of baking for the bake sale was having everything individually wrapped. The cookies were no problem but I had to really think for the cupcakes. Especially since most of the stores were begininning to close around me.

For the decorated cookies, I did awareness ribbons. Each of the cookies are hand decorated. I did an outline in a darker pink and I filled the cookie with a lighter pink. After I let it dry, I add sugar to the edges to add a little sparkle.


I did not want to do just awareness ribbons so I added some circles with words such as "Love", "Hope", "Strength", "Faith", and "Courage". I used a #1 tip to write the words. I of course had to add some sugar to the circles. I just did the outside of the circle in the same dark pink I used for the ribbons and poured sugar on. I did not add sugar to the words, although that would have looked cute too.  I then made a couple with the famous saying "Keep Calm and Fight On".


For the cookie packaging, I did one of the circle cookies and a ribbon and then tied them in a treat bag with a ribbon. The ribbon I found at Michael's Craft Stores. I then wrapped a couple ribbons individually as well as the "Keep Calm and Fight On" cookie.


For the cupcake I had no idea how to wrap it besides an individual box which I did not have. My mom called me to tell me that her friend was using plastic wine cups and cellophane to wrap cupcakes. I was not thrilled with the idea because I did not want to do the same thing but I headed into the basement to look for the cups I knew I had. As I was down there I saw that we had about 40 martini plastic cups that we would never use. So I took those and decided to use them for the cupcakes. I stuffed the cup with tissue paper and put the cupcake on top and loved the way it looked. It looked so adorable and made me really want one. The only problem was how to cover the cupcake. 


The cellophane didn't work because it just buried the cupcake. My mom came up with the idea of putting the wine cup on top. So we did that, along with a little bow and we came up with these adorable cupcake holders :-) The best part is they would be perfect for any event like a Sweet 16, bridal shower, or baby shower :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment