Friday, August 24, 2012

A Healthy Blueberry Muffin

I recently had a huge craving for a blueberry muffin. Normally when I get this craving, I go to Dunkin' Donuts for one of their delicious blueberry muffins. However, I decided to try and make my own muffins. I wanted to try a healthy blueberry muffin. But making a healthy muffin is a little difficult when most recipes call for 1/3 cup of vegetable oil or butter. Then there are the recipes with the crumb topping which just makes everything better. I also had this problem where I was out of unsalted butter and it was 11 o'clock at night. I then remembered that applesauce can be substituted for butter. I never tried it because I always figured that if I am going to be eating something like a muffin or cake, it needs the fat in order to be good. Well, ladies and gentlemen, I was very wrong. This recipe turned out to be surprisingly good. The muffins are nice and moist. They smell great baking and look delicious when you take them out of the oven. I couldn't wait to try one once I took it out.

The only thing I might do differently is the amount of blueberries. Which is actually funny because when I was making them, I thought there wasn't enough. This could just be a personal preference, or I just happened to pick a muffin with more blueberries than another. If you want big muffins, this recipe will make less. Otherwise, it should make about 12. Anyways, you should try this recipe. I cannot wait to have one tomorrow morning with my fresh cup of coffee :-)

Blueberry Muffins
(Adapted from Colleen's To Die For Blueberry Muffin
Yield: About 12 muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup applesauce
1 egg
1/3 cup Skim Plus Milk
1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin cups with muffin liners.

In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Set aside. In another small bowl, whisk together applesauce, egg, and milk. Pour liquids into flour mix and whisk together. Fold in blueberries. Divide the batter evenly among 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle sugar on top of batter.

Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until done.

Note: 4 points on Weight Watchers

No comments:

Post a Comment